Beach Buddies

Beach Buddies

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Attached

People tell me that they don't think they could foster because they would get too attached to the kids. When they say this does it mean they don't think I'm attached? That I can tuck my heart away and not be affected by the two small kiddos we've been raising in our home for the last six months? 
This is so far from the truth that it's not funny. 
I'm a total softie. I wear my heart on my sleeve. I have shed more tears over the kids we've cared for in the last year doing foster care than I probably have in my life. I love these kids. I will be heartbroken when it's time for them to leave. You have to love these kids wholeheartedly. They need to be able to love, and be loved to grow and develop, and form future attachments. When it's over we will cry, and grieve, and miss those kids so much. It's not easy to love when you know it isn't permanent, but there are no guarantees in relationships of any sort. To love is to risk, and it's worth it. These kids will always have a place in our hearts, and our love. That is permanent. We're attached, and it's a great thing for all of us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment